Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Distance Awareness
[Replies: 4]  [Views: 1228]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#1  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:52 am  Reply with quote + 
Distance Awareness is a name I gave to a strategy I acquired perhaps about two years ago. It's when you stand one space beyond the flames and it can be used strategically to gain the advantage in a battle. Below I made a picture in Microsoft Paint to help explain.

The black dot is the bomb, and the orange lines are the fire. The "B" is the Bomberman using the strategy standing one square away from the flames on the grid.

This is helpful for survival, but I've come to use it more often to get to particular spaces on the map faster than my opponent can. This strategy is good for most Bomberman games but is a failure on Bomberman '93 because in that game, a simple fire up can throw it off as on the game, a power up gathered after a bomb has been set increases it's power when it shouldn't do so until the bombs laid after acquiring the item are laid.
View user profile Send Private Message
Razon
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:37 am  Reply with quote + 
Maybe that's implying that when the bomb explodes, it calls the force from the bomberman that placed it- or that the bomberman sends the power over to the bomb when he gets the power up. It's probably not like that at all, and it's just how they happened to program it- it's one of those things that they didn't keep consistent with in the bomberman series. In BOJ it would do that as long as it wasn't within the last 1-1.5 seconds until that bomb explodes, in my bomberman project it will also call from the new panels that were obtained. There are things like remote control bombs and such, so it's not far fetched that bomberman can have some sort of link with the bomb after it's been placed- unless he just has a detonation switch for those kind of bombs.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#3  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:47 am  Reply with quote + 
I'm pretty sure I know why it does that - I had the same problem the first time I was working on a Bomberman engine. When the bomb explodes, it probably checks the fire-up count of the player who created it (as we know in other Bomberman games where the game keeps track of who fragged who, bombs are probably assigned in some fashion to the player who set them). I doubt that when the fire-up panel is collected, the player sends the updated variable to the bomb. I don't recall very many Bomberman games working like this so personally I think that in this instance (in Bomberman '93 at least) it was probably just done by accident, since other Bomberman games at the time didn't work like that, at least not to my memory.

In any case, back on topic, you've got a valid point there kirby - unfortunately people like me can't remember how much fire we have after a certain point, but I guess that's what makes it an advantage for those who can.
Razon
Board Admin

Post#4  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:12 pm  Reply with quote + 
All that needs to be done is for the fire count at the time to be stored on the bomb, so which way is the right way? For it to explode with the updated fire count, or for it to explode with the fire count had upon placing the bomb? Or since both have been done, that there's no right and wrong for it- the latter seems right but what of the other.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#5  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:40 pm  Reply with quote + 
Gameplay-speaking, it really doesn't matter either way. Whoever designs the rendition of Bomberman has the power to decide how they want the game to be played; whichever option they choose will just tweak the gameplay a little. So neither way is necessarily wrong.

Technically-speaking, if Bomberman sets a bomb on the ground, I'd imagine that he creates that bomb and puts his fire "energy", so to speak, into it, thus whatever his fire power level was at the time, the bomb would have that power as well. Similarly he can pick up bombs and pump them up in 64 and TSA, pushing more power into them while they are in his hands.

But after all it is up to the developer(s) to decide on the matter, nobody else really cares about -how- Bomberman sets a bomb or -how- items affect his abilities, they just adjust to the gameplay style of the version they are playing.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1256s
Index - Back to Top