Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Translating Bomberman Manuals
Gomess
Bombertrainee

Post#12  Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:17 pm  Reply with quote + 
I point this out in my Bad Bombers thread, but "buku" is an onomatopoeia for the sound of bubbles. Hence, Gamebuku; turtle, bubbles, it works.

The cactus bosses could collectively be referred to as "Ponchos", which makes sense. Even if it's kinda lame.

The ice boss, I always called Freezer Venus. I believe even the European manual calls her that, and I know it's not "bi-nasu", but it's close enough, surely...? Sometimes, slight accentuations are changed just to give emphasis. Especially with monsters and bosses (look at how many daikaijuu's names end in "ra" just for the sake of it)!

Oh, and the flame enemy, Gure-n; that's just a slight distortion of the word for crimson, a common name for fire-based creatures in video games (I think even the living flames in Fire Man's stage back in Mega Man 1 were called this). Most people now know it from the name of the anime, "Gurren Lagann".

My experience of Japanese comes entirely from life experience, hanging out with Japanese-speakers and being raised on Japanese media; I've never had a formal lesson in my life, so I don't know a lot of grammatical rules, but I can be helpful when it comes to the weird or pop culture stuff. :peace: 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1321s
Index - Back to Top