BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Saturn Bomberman Fight! Shirobon Story Mode (translation)
Bomber D Rufi
Bomberdude

Post#8  Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:28 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yep that's how I try to go at it. (This Bomberman Fight cutscene thing is not the first thing I've translated...in fact I translate 3 different manga weekly.) I sit down and ask myself 'how would I say this phrase in English?' 'How would my friends say it?' 'How do we convey it in conversation?' Yes I know there's a cultural disparity in thinking this way as it is Japanese to English, but for the most part my audience would be an English speaking one, so I use phases and idioms that are native to that. In some cases where an exact word to word translation is needed I use it, and maybe add a note.

I don't sit listening to subs looking for mistakes either, I listen and if something is a bit different than what's being said I try to think about what's being conveyed and what the translator was thinking. If it makes sense although it's a bit different then I'd say it works out. I don't think the translation has failed if the audience gets it, and sometimes to get that understanding you have to change how things are phrased.

In any case I'll be getting to Kurobon's in a few days maybe...so I hope you'll look forward to it. :veryhappy: 
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1510s
Index - Back to Top