BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Saturn Bomberman Fight! Shirobon Story Mode (translation)
Bomber D Rufi
Bomberdude

Post#3  Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
First of all hello Razon! It's nice to see someone who studies Japanese and takes it seriously. Too many people think that it's a walk in the park or knowing a few anime phrases is all that you need.

Now I agree that you're right about my translation not being 'exact' on points. But I feel you're missing the point of translation. Moreover, you're making it sound like I've fooled everyone into thinking that I'm innacurate or doing it wrong. It bothers me as well that you said that you're only selecting 'some' parts of Japanese to learn while ignoring others. I want to learn every aspect of the language that I can, including vocabulary and Kanji. Sure I can't learn the whole language in this limited time I have on this mortal shuffle...but I want to get as close as possible.

The main point I wanted to address is that you seem to be missing the point of translation. Translation isn't just recording what is said in one language into another, It's being able to transcribe one language in a way that an audience that does not speak that language can understand. I believe the word that you're looking for is 'localization.' There's no point in writing word for word if it will confuse and alienate the readers. I'm not saying it's okay to make up words in a translation, or to change things around completely, but if what one is writing is close to the original and does it's job of informing (Or in this case entertaining) the reader then I feel that the Job is done.

Take for example the lines you put.

Shirobon: Alright! I'm going to come at you seriously, don't withdraw all of sudden(don't suddenly withdraw).

Compared to mine.

Shiro: Allright! Let's get started! I don't want you to chicken out if you start losing!

Now they are markedly different I'll agree. But when you and a pal are about to play video games with each other....or compete...which one would you say? Translation as I said before Is not always writing exactly what they say...it's being able to word it in a way that readers can follow. In this case I wanted to show that Shirobon wanted to have a serious match with Kuro. The original way you put it is correct, but somewhat awkward as I'm sure you don't talk that way in real life.

Kurobon: I understand but, you'll hold back a bit right?
To my: Kuro: S-Sure, but do you think you could lighten up on me a little?

There's almost no difference between the two. I think a reader will be able to discern that Kuro is a bit hesitant to fight Shiro if he's taking it rather seriously. The only thing I did was to make it a little less awkward...although to be honest yours works fine here too.

Shirobon: What are you talking about! It's obvious that we'll do it with all our might isn't it?
Mine: Shiro: Huh? What are you talking about?! We gotta put our all into this right?

Now I noticed that you said that 'didn't imply 'we' or a specific person, just saying that it would be done with with all one's might' Did you know that Japanese rarely addresses the 'I or You' like English does? It's always implied who the speaker or the object is supposed to be. Just because Shiro doesn't say 'Us' or 'Me' doesn't mean he's not talking about them. A whole Japanese conversation can lack 'You' or 'I' simply because it's a language that doesn't rely on pronouns much. And like the one before it, there's no difference between both of ours. I continue to advocate that it's important to translate in a way that people who do not understand the language can follow along without it being awkward. I think again if you were competing with a friend you wouldn't say 'With all of our might' Right?

This post is getting long so I'll stop here. I'm not at all saying you're wrong, nor am I saying my translation is perfect. I agree that incorrect translations are annoying, and understand your concern. But the way you phrased it makes it sound like I'm completely off when as you can see from my examples and explanation that I am not. If you don't like my 'localization' it's fine. But being condescending is not the right way to adress the issue. If you'd like to talk to me about changing things or suggest how I can do it better I'm always open to critique. :happy: 
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1550s
Index - Back to Top