BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Saturn Bomberman Fight! Shirobon Story Mode (translation)
Razon
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:29 am  Reply with quote + 
I'm not fond of in-exact translations, I prefer stuff translated exactly how it's said instead of people going off giving a different translation- like the first few phrases for example. People that don't know japanese won't know the difference, but that's all the more reason to give an exact translation- not just not giving a crap since people think that other's won't know the difference.

Shirobon: What!? The first opponent is black bomber (huh)? (since there's a ka implying a question type)
Kurobon: Haaa, I'm not lucky- all of a sudden is it. (implying having to face white bomber all of a sudden)

Shirobon: Alright! I'm going to come at you seriously, don't withdraw all of sudden(don't suddenly withdraw). (pokkuri no toki mitai ni tei wo hikunayo, not that firmiliar with the word pokkuri, the way that it's worded in japanese it makes it almost sound like it's referring to 'like during sudden(implying sudden death) don't withdraw(literal: to take back your hand, meaning to retreat), just going with the most likely meaning)
Kurobon: I understand but, you'll hold back a bit right? (meaning to go easier on him)
Shirobon: What are you talking about! It's obvious that we'll do it with all our might isn't it? (didn't imply 'we' or a specific person, just saying that it would be done with with all one's might)

"skipping ahead"

Shirobon: What's.. this person(guy). (koitsu, referring to the other person/living thing. Since it's a penguin I'm not sure of the exact way to translate, 'what is he' could be another translation)
Shirobon: Could it be that you're also a tournament participent?
Shirobon: Want to dual? (wanna)
Shirobon: Could you answer me. (answer me, say something, respond to)
Shirobon: He was quite a rough opponent, even though he was someone that I didn't quite get what he was thinking.
Shirobon: Are you, alright I wonder? (wonder if he's alright, doesn't specifically say he but it implies that)
Penguin: "groan". (hogee, kind of like a penguin groanish cry I suppose)
Shiroban: Just what was that. (referring to the fight overall probably, since he fought with a penguin)

Makes you wonder how other people learn japanese, I spend the time to learn the exact meaning of words and sentences- and translate as such. While there's still a lot of japanese that I don't know, what I have learned over the years is correct. I just learn bits here and there over time, instead of spending a lot of time to specifically go out of my way and learn the entire language.

Kanji is something that I really haven't wanted to bother with, would rather just expand my dictionary knowledge on the language instead- so I mainly just know random common kanji's or can guess it depending on the wording of stuff and having seen it before. Most people that I know that are knowledgable with kanji are chinese, so they have the advantage of having learned many kanji that are the same as the japanese ones.

Well I suppose it's easier to just give a quick non exact throwdown rough translation that's just similar to the meaning of what's actually being said, unless the people really don't know the proper meaning for the words and are just guessing since it or only some of the words sounds similar to what they know or think it means- when people do things like using an m for the word senpai I find it annoying though.
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1335s
Index - Back to Top