Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Bomberman discussion!
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#45  Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
perhaps after Max got turned into.... Max.... he joined the BomberBase? Why would he leave Phantarion, because of what he became or something?

Yes, that is certainly the case.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
it seems like he got so good that he decided to challenge Shiro in Bomberman/Max, it's likely that they didn't know each other very well at that point since Max kind of blends in with those other guys.

While the two versions are called Blue Champion and Red Challenger (and this only outside of Japan), later games make it evident that Max, not Shirobom, is considered the most skilled veteran at the Bomberbase. In light of this, Max would have been a well known celebrity, and his challenge to Bomberman would be seen as a recognition of Bomberman's skills and merits.
This portrayal may appear rather stupid of Hudson, but not all that surprising. In videogame franchises it is all too typical to not give the main characters the recognition they deserve. Just as Shirobom has saved the world several times (the whole freaking universe in fact) prior to Bomberman Max, so had X prior to Megaman X 5, and yet in that game Capcom made Zero start as a Class S (special) hunter while X was a lowly B.

Shiro wrote:
I don't know about the setting (since it has no text), but the gameplay, stage size and enemies are mostly the same as NES Bomberman.

By settings I did not mean story, I meant stages. In the original Bomberman, the whole game took place in a maze with gray blocks and green floor. Does the cell-phone game only have one setting too? Or several?

Shiro wrote:
About the nebula: well, I don't have the SBM3 manual. I've always wanted it, but never could put my hands on since the store I used to buy games didn't have it (at least not with the manual). Thus, to me, it was the first one. Sorry if I was wrong, hehe'.

No problem. Anyway, persoanlly I always assumed Nebula to be a misused word like Star in Hero (which uses it in lieu of planet), meaning instead solar system. According to BMan GB3, Owen would be its eleventh planet... interestingly, judging by looks alone, Owen would seem to be one of the planets from Bomberman 93.

Shiro wrote:
Also, the villain's original name was Devil Bomber. I don't know why it changed to "Evil" in the translation, but both do, I guess.

Well, it's fairly obvious why Hudson changed Devil to Evil in the translation of Bomberman Hero. Can't have the devil (or anything related to it) show up in a game for kids here in the west, can we? Clearly children would start worshipping him, nevermind that the objective in the game is to annihilate him.
As for why we chose to change the name in Bomberman GB3, I insisted on this for the sake of consistency. The reference is obscure enough as it is.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
so then Devil Bomber is the guy that appears in the final, secret world of Bomberman Hero! It must be! Nobody else could figure that out, probably because Bomberman GB3 wasn't released here.

...see? That's what I meant. And why I was so adamant about changing it to Evil in the GB game too. Apparently that still wasn't enough, but I guess that's because hardly anybody bothered to play the GB3 game, let alone with our translation patch.
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1238s
Index - Back to Top