Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Bomberman discussion!
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#21  Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Shiro wrote:
the planet seen in the intro does not have a face or moon (at least not a visible one

Yep. But they doesn't have to always be visible :wink: 

Shiro wrote:
In Bomberman '94, a normal (albeit cartoonized) moon is shown in the ending, alongside

Two possible explanations: either it comes naturally to the programmers to make the moon yellow when seen from the surface, or it could be that way because of the reflected sun rays (our moon too changes color from yellow to red... even though it is really gray)

Shiro wrote:
normal buildings (although this last part proves nothing, since Super Bomberman 5 shows the bombers playing soccer).

Yeah "normal" buildings aren't much of an indication.

Shiro wrote:
Thus, I believe Planet Bomber was a later concept, or maybe something they used once in '93 and decided to bring back in Super Bomberman 5.

I would say Planet Bomber as a name and in appearence is certainly a later concept, but a retroactive one, applying to all games in the new continuity started by the PCE and SNES games (well minus 3 and 4).
However, the same goes for the non-Earth setting they went for in 93 (applying to the previous PCE Bomberman and the others to come).
In other words, first we had the original Bomberman on PCE, which did not really define the setting (unless it did in the manual. Damn I really wish I had it). Then came 93 which established that this new Bomberman did not live on our Earth. And finally SBMan5 establish/revealed Bombarman's planet as Planet Bomberman.

Shiro wrote:
a planet with a bomber face seems kinda cheesy, but that's just me!

Oh it certainly is cheesy, but it's canon all the same *lol*

Shiro wrote:
Super Bomberman 3 is indeed set on Earth, as proven by the Battle Mode with real life countries

Set on? Not really. Some of the battle stages are based on levels from the story mode, which we know are on a bunch of planets. My educate opinion would therefore be that the Bombers in battle mode are only representing Earth countries, not battling in them (kind of like how a sports team represent their nation while playing in another).

Shiro wrote:
Then, there's Super Bomberman 4's ending, which shows "Earth", not Planet Bomber, as seen here

Same thing I said to the first quote.

Shiro wrote:
The GBC series also seem to be more based on reality than the other games, since it depicts (maybe for the first time, I'm not sure) Bomber the Kid, an Indiana Jones of sorts

How is that more based on reality? :xeyes: 

Shiro wrote:
Hero Bomberman, a knight.

You mean from Pocket Bomberman? That game is followed by Bomberman Wars, which is tied to Bomberman World (the latter being clearly in the same continuity as the SBMan games).

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Hudson Soft doesn't seem to care much about canonicity. I'm sorry, but it's true.

You make it sound worse than it really is. Besides, yesterday's Hudson is not the same as the Hudson of today (for worse, sadly).

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Plasma Bomber and Magnet Bomber show no signs of robotic parts

No more so than Bomberman at least :wink: 

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Pretty Bomber and Magnet Bomber are distinctly human, as you can see their skin

I'm sorry but I do firmly believe this statement to be distinctly wrong. Maybe they were humans, but not anymore (emphasis on the maybe).
And skin? You mean arms and legs? They are the same color as Bombermen other than the White one, aren't they?

Dark Zaphe wrote:
As to what exactly happened to Brain Bomber and Golem Bomber, that most definately doesn't matter, such as the question of why Dr. MechaDoc is the way he is, and why Bazooka Bomber is so heavily patched. They were just designed this way by the developers so that they would look more evil and/or formidable

To this I do agree.

Shiro wrote:
I suppose there are lots of good and bad ideas, like, for instance, oval-head chibified characters that have no legs, and they end up using many of them, which explains the lack of constant style in the series, thus eliminating any chance of a canon. I sometimes prefer to think they are alternate universes or something

This is certainly true, it is hard to tell when a bunch of games belongs in a different time frame within the series or anotehr continuity altogether. Generally I like to go with the former option, but in some cases the latter seems more plausible.
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1309s
Index - Back to Top